Translate

Thursday 27 April 2017


Butternut Squash & Chorizo Soup



Ok, so I've been majorly slacking recently when it comes to my blog and I apologise for this, but you know, life just got in the way! I'm back on track now and with the Bank Holiday weekend fast approaching, will be pulling my sleeves up and putting my KitchenAid to good use!!


I made this soup for Valentines Day. I decided I didn't want to be taken out, instead, I wanted to cook a fancy 3 course dinner and have a chilled one at home with the man I love....and a good bottle of red! Perfection!!

I spent a good few hours deciding what courses to cook, it had to be perfect and they had to match well with each other!

I decided on a butternut squash and chorizo soup with fougasse bread, fillet steak with gratin dauphinois and then la pièce de la résistance was my brownie tart with a cinnamon pastry! Just typing this out is making me want to devour this meal all over again!!!

The soup is literally a party of flavours all up in your mouth! I really recommend you chop up some of the chorizo to fry up as croutons to garnish the soup before serving as this gives the soup some added texture.....and the bread?!!!! Oh my god!!! The bread is soooooo good!! I'd never made fougasse bread before but it's a typical southern French bread and I added caramelised red onion, chili flakes, rosemary and Gruyere cheese.....it was the perfect companion to my soup and went down a treat.

I really hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did and I'd love to know if you try this recipe out....leave a comment below if you do or let me know on Instagram @atableavecjulia or @missjlp

Serves 3-4

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 130g chorizo, plus extra to serve
  • 700ml chicken stock
  • 450g butternut squash (I purchased pre chopped in a packet)
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • Good pinch of nutmeg 
  • Salt & pepper
  • Double cream (to garnish)
Finely chop the onion and chorizo then add to a saucepan with a little olive oil. Crush the garlic and stir everything together. Fry until the onions have softened.




Pour in the chicken stock and then add in the chopped butternut squash. Season with some salt and pepper then add the paprika, thyme, chili flakes and nutmeg. 

Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, until the butternut squash has softened. 

Pour the contents into a blender and process until smooth.




Pour the soup back into the saucepan and cook on a low heat for a further 5 minutes. Whilst this is cooking, cut the remaining chorizo into small chunks and add to a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil. Cook until just crispy and transfer to some kitchen paper to soak up the excess oils.

Serve with some double cream drizzled in the middle with the chorizo croutons sprinkled on top and a generous wedge of my fougasse bread (recipe to follow shortly!) 

Bon appétit mes amis! 

No comments:

Post a Comment